Thread: Denied because I was self-employed?

Denied because I was self-employed?

I was in a severe car accident 3-22-13 and I haven't been able to work. They just disqualified me from getting disability because I was self employed so they said there's a labor market issue. How do I win my appeal case? I did work for a company 8-2011 through 2-2012 so I have money in there for me. But because I didn't pay into it the last 90 days they denied me. I need help please. I need to win my appeal. I have no more money to pay my rent and will loose my apartment soon. Please help, anyone!

Help with your disability claim questions.
    If you were denied SSDI because you did not have sufficient work credits then this is considered a nonmedical denial and you won't have success appealing it unless you can prove they miscalculated your work credits. Thousands of people "have money in there" but SSDI is not like SSA retirement, it's not waiting for you and it's not an entitlement program. You also mentioned not paying into it in the last 90 days, that does not quite sound correct. According to the SSA, the number of work credits you need to qualify for disability benefits depends on your age when you become disabled. Generally, you need 40 credits, 20 of which were earned in the last 10 years ending with the year you become disabled.

Review the SSA How many work credits do you need page for more information.