Thread: My VA rating is 70%, am I entitled to SSD benefits?

My VA rating is 70%, am I entitled to SSD benefits?

If the VA QTC rating is determined to be 70% or more does this entitle me to also receive Social Security Disability?

Help with your disability claim questions.
    Government disability benefits are offered for Veterans through the Department of Veterans Affairs for veterans who have suffered a service-related illness or injury. Disabled workers who may or may not be veterans may also receive disability benefits from the Social Security Administration if they have worked and paid sufficient taxes to be considered insured. If you are a veteran, you may be eligible for both Social Security Disability Insurance and VA benefits.

Veterans Benefits:

Veterans who were injured from a service related injury or if they had a condition that worsened due to their active military duty may receive Veteran disability benefits. The VA will analyze medical reports to determine the amount of benefits they are eligible to receive and the “percentage” that the VA is disabled.

Social Security Disability Benefits

Social Security Disability Insurance benefits may be paid to claimants who are disabled with a severe medical condition that does not allow them to work for at least 12 continuous months and who have paid sufficient taxes working jobs which were “covered” by Social Security. Workers cannot be working what the SSA considers “substantial gainful activity” which the SSA considers making more than $1,000 per month (in 2011).

Unlike VA disability benefits, the SSA does not award payment for partial disability benefits. SSDI benefits are all or nothing. So to answer your question, if the SSA does not consider you 100% disabled, they not award you SSDI or SSI benefits.

Is there an offset for VA payments to SSDI claimants?

Certain types of benefits such as workers compensation payments can affect a claimants SSDI benefits payment. VA benefits, however, do not. Workers who qualify for both VA benefits and SSDI benefits can receive their full payment from both the VA and the Social Security Administration.

How do VA benefits affect Supplemental Security Income Benefits?

Claimants who have not worked or paid taxes but who are blind, disabled or aged, with limited income and resources, will not qualify for SSDI benefits. They may, however, qualify for another wage replacement program offered by the SSA called Supplemental Security Income or SSI.

SSI applicants must have VERY limited income and resources. If they earn more income than is allowed by the SSA they will be denied. The income and resource amount varies with the claimant’s marital status and the source, either wage or nonwage income. If the claimant’s VA benefit combined with other income exceeds the allowable amount, the claimant’s SSI application will be denied.