Thread: Why is it so hard to get SSI?

Why is it so hard to get SSI?

Why is it so hard to get SSI when there are many who collect it that doesn't need it?

Help with your disability claim questions.
    That's a great question, but if you are disabled and unable to work it is better to focus on what you can do to get benefits and not the unfairness and inequalify of the system.
    The best thing you can do is to make sure you have sufficient medical records to prove you are disabled. This means you need to get consistent medical care and find a doctor who is willing to work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Disability Advocate View Post
    The best thing you can do is to make sure you have sufficient medical records to prove you are disabled. This means you need to get consistent medical care and find a doctor who is willing to work with you.
    I did and do have that, and have already been through the system once, up to but not including the civil action step after appeal. Basically, I was told my doctors were wrong, one even being called "bias", and SS went with the 20 minute "exam" with the SS doctor as being the accurate account of my health.
    It's kind of hard not to focus on the "unfairness" of the system. I worked for 30 years, I didn't ask to get sick. I produced documentation verifying the diagnosis, and that wasn't enough. Who's going to know me better? Doctors I've been seeing for years, or a doctor who works for SS who basically asks me a few questions then says I'm not sick?

Help with your disability claim questions.
    What you are describing sounds unusual to me.Your primary care doctor's information and analysis should weigh more heavily than the Consultative Examiner. You did not mention whether or not you had a disability lawyer working with you. If not, I would apply again and make sure you had good legal representation. Keep in mind that disability lawyers do not get paid unless you win, and although it may seem expensive and could potentially be a waste of money, they could possibly save you a lot of time and win your case.

Yes, I did have an attorney for the first round. I suppose my situation was too unusual for him. See, I also home school my youngest son, with the help of my oldest son (who's grown). Although this wasn't brought up by the judge at all, or anyone else but my attorney, nonetheless he dropped the case right after filing the appeal. Needless to say, I am not very trusting of attorneys in this matter.
    I find it interesting the reliance on the CE would be considered unusual, since I've read many accounts of that being exactly the case. Overall, it does look very much as if all they are out to do is deny claims, regardless of evidence. I'm sorry, but 4 years in to fighting for what I spent 30 years paying in to leaves me more than a little skeptical.