Thread: Can My son get SSI for dyslexia?

Can My son get SSI for dyslexia?

May I be able to collect SSI if my son has dyslexia or slight dyslexia?

Help with your disability claim questions.
    To qualify for Supplemental Security Income, a child must meet Social Security’s income and resource requirements and disability qualifications. Supplemental Security Income is a needs-based program, so you and your family must have income and resources below a certain level to qualify. The maximum monthly benefit allowed (the Federal Benefit Rate) changes periodically.

The Social Security Administration provides the following information about a child and qualifying for disability,

"Under title XVI, a child under age 18 will be considered disabled if he or she has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment or combination of impairments that causes marked and severe functional limitations, and that can be expected to cause death or that has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months. A medically determinable physical or mental impairment is an impairment that results from anatomical, physiological, or psychological abnormalities which can be shown by medically acceptable clinical and laboratory diagnostic techniques. A physical or mental impairment must be established by medical evidence consisting of signs, symptoms, and laboratory findings-not only by the individual's statement of symptoms."

So to summarize, to win SSI benefits for you son, not only will your family have to meet VERY limiting income and resource qualifications, your son must also be determined to have a physical impairment that causes marked and severe functional limitations.