Thread: Will my part-time work affect getting SSDI?

Will my part-time work affect getting SSDI?

I am currently working 2-4 days a week. But its quite hard. Is this going to affect me applying

Help with your disability claim questions.
    If you are applying for SSDI benefits whether or not you can work part-time will depend on whether you are performing what the SSA calls “substantial gainful activity.” The SSA does have a dollar amount that they will consider “gainful” and in 2012 this amount for non-blind individuals is $1,010 and for statutorily blind individuals it is $1,690. If you are able to generate this amount of income the SSA will not consider you disabled and will automatically deny your SSDI claim, regardless of the severity of your mental or physical health condition.

Now, what if you are working but you are not generating that type of income or maybe you are attending school or volunteering? There is another catch. Work does not have to be “gainful” to be work; it can also simply be “substantial.” What the SSA considers substantial seems to be a bit more nebulous. Estimates vary from 15 to 25 hours per week, but the bottom line is if you are working to much, even if your work is not generating a profit, it could be considered “substantial” and you could be automatically denied SSDI benefits.