Thread: Working part-time, will I be denied?

Working part-time, will I be denied?

im working part time now so i can have a roof over my head but only making 7:55 hr working 18 hrs weekly unless my client has to be hospitalize

Help with your disability claim questions.
    Claimants may qualify for Supplemental Security Income or Social Security Disability Insurance working part-time and receiving a limited income, but Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) will be denied by the Social Security Administration if the SSA determines the Social Security Disability applicant is performing “substantial gainful activity” or if the claimant is determined not disabled with a mental or physical health condition that is expected to last at least 12 continuous months.

The Social Security Administration defines “substantial gainful activity” as doing any type of mental or physical activity which is “substantial”. Work is considered substantial if the non-blind applicant makes a gross income of $1,000 per month (for 2011), and the blind applicant makes a gross income of $1,640 per month (for 2011).

Activity or work does not have to be performed full-time to be substantial. When claimants consider “work” or “gainful activity” they might think of a full-time job that they do 40 hours per week, but activity can be gainful under the Social Security Administration’s definition if it meets any of the following Social Security Administration’s criteria:

• Any work performed or done for pay or profit.
    • Work which normally receives pay or profit
    • Work which is intended for profit even if profit is not realized

So whether or not you can receive disability and work part-time will depend on the amount of money you are earning and whether you are determined disabled. If you earn too much or the SSA believes you could work substantially, you will be denied.

If you would like an attorney to review your claim you can fill out the FREE evaluation form and a disability advocate will call you to review your claim or you can call our office at 1-800-641-3759 to talk to someone now